Tips for Being Pregnant During Winter in San Jose
If you’re pregnant in San Jose, you may be curious about what to expect during this season while you’re expecting! Being pregnant during the winter can be a special time. You get to experience the joys of pregnancy during the most wonderful time of the year. The colder temperatures and wet weather conditions can affect your pregnancy in different ways. Here are some tips for being pregnant during the winter season in San Jose!
What to Consider
- This should be obvious, but staying warm is the main concern during the winter time. Keeping your body warm allows for it to work at its best, and therefore makes it important to bundle up during the season. While we don’t get snow in San Jose, you will still want to careful when walking on potentially icy surfaces.
- Don’t forget to drink plenty of fluids! It is easy to become dehydrated in the winter when we are less likely to drink enough water. Drinking herbal tea and eating soup can help you stay hydrated and warm at the same time.
What you can do
- Get outside every day, even if it’s just for a short walk. Fresh air and sunshine will do you good!
- Find out what holiday festivals or light shows are available in your area in the month of December. Make sure to take plenty of pics of yourself, even if you don’t feel like it, you’ll be glad you took them!
- You can also use this time to nesting and get your home ready for baby. Wash all the linens, organize the nursery, and stock up on supplies.
- If you have littles already, look into holiday traditions you can do together, whether they already exist in your family or if you try something new. They may or may not make it to the activities next year – but try to remain present in the here and now instead of next year or last. Be present, because it’s the real gift of the season.
What you can wear
- Consider getting a warm coat that will fit your growing belly all season long! If you’re on a budget, check Facebook marketing place for a gently used coat. I enjoy having extra large, roomy clothes, so buying an item like this after pregnancy was very easy for me to justify getting. I like sweatshirts, so ones like these were my favorite – bonus they come in sizes 20/22 to 0/2. Also, zippers were my choice over a flap when it comes to a jacket like this.
- For me, the best investment at this time was in a good pair of warm boots. You’ll be doing a lot of walking during pregnancy, so it’s important to have a good pair of comfortable boots that can support your feet and ankles. Look for ones with a thick sole and good traction to prevent slips on slippery sidewalks. I had some that were wool-lined, and they helped me stay so warm! I also had an inexpensive pair of rainboots (they were sparkly, too!) and really warm socks to hold me over for those really wet days.
- Dress in layers so that you can adjust your clothing as needed. This was vitally important for me. If I had my boots on, especially; I would get warm very easily, so I needed options depending on where I was or what I was doing.
- Think about breastfeeding access if you have littles that you are feeding from your body. Do you have easy access to your chest for your little one? Do you need it for every item of clothing you’re wearing, or can you have a mixture depending on the layers you have?
All seasons definitely have their pros and cons especially while pregnant! I hope these tips for being pregnant during the winter season in San Jose was helpful. Remember to enjoy each season as it comes, and breathe that crisp winter air.